With just a few weeks to go until we can say there are just a few months to go, the presidential election has entered the stretch run. This is a pivotal moment because it is always important to stretch before you run, particularly if you have tight hamstrings.

I’ve been following the polls closely, and I’m 53 percent sure this is what they say (although 19 percent of me remains unaffiliated and 16 percent remains uninterested and is likely to ignore the rest of this column):

The newest survey of likely voters shows voters are likely to not like any of the candidates who have been running.

The poll, conducted by the Offen Research Institute, found that 62 percent of voters refused to read any more about polls; 39 percent of voters shut the door in our face because they thought we were asking them to sign a petition to save the rainforest; and 17 percent of voters have no idea how to do math and get to 100 percent.

Further, 32 percent of voters preferred to be eating popcorn instead of filling out a poll, but 29 percent wanted it without butter. Thirteen percent were undecided and 27 percent were too busy Googling their own names when we tried to ask them.

When polled about how well they thought we were doing, 48.1 percent said they thought that 51.3 percent of us were doing reasonably OK but that was down from a year ago before we had lost some weight and had topped out at 102 percent.

Our approval rating, particularly among the target demographic of actual likely column readers, plummeted to just 34.6 percent, which nevertheless was 2 percentage points better than Dear Abby on Sundays and 7.3 points higher than Hints from Heloise.

Those who say they are most likely to vote, however, continue to favor the Jumble by 51.5 percent to 44.5 percent with 4 percent unable to figure out the cartoon that always accompanies the Jumble.

However, in a head-to-head race, given the choice between this column and the Jumble, most voters said they would choose the astrology chart, as long as they didn’t have to be Gemini.

Finally, according to the most recent polling data, 79 percent of Americans have been polled at one time or another although that doesn’t include anybody you may actually know or have ever even met. The remaining 21 percent have been on Facebook and Twitter and don’t know there is an election going on.

The numbers clearly do point to a long, drawn-out contest that is not likely to end before we’ve run out of regular numbers for percents and are forced to use Roman numerals.

It is important to remember, however, that of course all of this data remains well within the statistical margin of error.

Advertisements